New Employee Orientation FAQ
Who gets invited to New Employee Orientation?
The population for orientation invites is:
- New Staff hired into a benefit-eligible* position.
- Existing Staff who transfer into a benefit-eligible* position from a position that was previously not benefit-eligible.
* Benefit-eligible means persons employed by Indiana University as full-time (75% FTE or greater) appointed Staff employees.
If a new employee misses their scheduled orientation date, can they come to the next one?
If a new employee misses their scheduled orientation date, they are more than welcome to attend the next one. There is no need to reserve a spot in advance, and if they are not on the sign-in list at orientation they can add their name at the bottom.
Note: Even if an employee does not attend orientation or attends at a later date, they must still submit benefit choices by the deadline stated in their email about benefit enrollment.
What if an employee needs specific training based on their position, and it is not covered in orientation?
If an employee needs specific training based on their position, they should still enroll in other training sessions (online or in-person), as new employee orientation provides very general information. A list of training programs for the Bloomington campus can be found on the Bloomington Training Programs webpage.
What information is covered at orientation?
The information that is covered in orientation includes, but is not limited to:
- Benefits available to IU employees and how to enroll
- Technology at IU and how to set up your accounts
- Technology training opportunities for IU employees
- How to keep your work and personal information safe
- Resources IU provides to keep its employees safe and healthy
When and where are future orientation sessions?
Generally, orientation is held every other Monday 8:15am – 2:30pm Eastern time in the Poplars Building, Room W100. A list of orientation session dates for the Bloomington campus can be found on the New Employee Orientation webpage.
Although I am not a new employee (i.e. supervisor, HR Business Partner, etc.), am I able to attend an orientation to observe?
Those who are not new employees are welcome to observe new employee orientation. By letting us know in advance, we will ensure that there is an extra seat for you.
Who can I contact if I have questions regarding orientation?
If you have questions about new employee orientation, contact IU Human Resources at (812) 856-1234 or .
What are the parking options for those attending orientation?
The parking options available for those attending orientation include:
- Parking garage behind the Poplars Building – EM-P permits
- Parking lot on the East side of the Poplars Building – EM-S permits
- Metered street parking
- Other parking options