Getting married will allow you to make changes to your benefit plans outside of Open Enrollment. You must make the change within 30 days of the marriage date. A copy of the marriage certificate, and if you are dropping IU coverage, documentation of enrollment in your spouse's plan(s) will be required.
To make changes to any of the plans listed immediately below, you will need to request a Life Events change through the Employee Center and complete online enrollment of your changes once your request is approved by HR. You must make the change within 30 days.
- Add your spouse or stepchildren to your IU dental plan.
- If you are not currently covered under the IU dental plan, enroll yourself and your spouse/children in the IU dental plan.
- Drop your dental coverage altogether, but only if you enroll in your spouse’s dental plan.
- Drop your currently covered children from your IU dental plan, but only if you enroll them in your spouse’s dental plan.
- Add your spouse or stepchildren to your current IU medical plan.
- If you are not currently covered under an IU medical plan, enroll yourself and your spouse/children in a medical plan.
- Drop your IU medical coverage altogether, but only if you enroll in your spouse’s medical plan.
- Drop your currently covered children from your IU medical plan, but only if you enroll them in your spouse’s plan.
- Add or drop coverage.
- Increase or decrease the coverage level.
- Increase election if consistent with change.
- Reduce election but only if it is consistent with change (e.g., if spouse adds employee to medical coverage with a lower deductible than employee currently has.)
- Add or increase coverage if the marriage creates or increases need for dependent care.
- Drop coverage if marriage decreases or removes need for dependent care. (i.e. spouse is not employed or has dependent care election on his or her employer's Plan)
(Consistency rule is satisfied if change corresponds with a Life Event Change that affects either eligibility for coverage under Plan or eligibility of expenses under applicable IRS regulations.)
You may also want to consider making changes to the plans listed below. Such changes do not require the submission of a Life Event Change and can be done at any time.
- For changes to marital status, name, address and emergency contact.
- Change the beneficiaries on your base retirement and life insurance, as well as any other supplemental plans.
- Spouses and dependents of full-time Academic and Staff employees are eligible for the IU Tuition Benefit.
- Begin or stop IU Tax Deferred Account.
- Begin or stop IU 457(b) Retirement Plan account.