Getting married will allow you to make changes to your benefit plans outside of Open Enrollment. You must make these changes within 30 days of the event.

Important Information

  • A copy of your marriage certificate must be submitted.
  • If you are adding dependents to your medical or dental plan, dependent documentation (i.e. birth certificate) must be submitted.
  • If you are dropping IU coverage, documentation of enrollment in your spouse’s plans must be submitted.

Medical and Dental Coverage

You may take the following actions:

  • Add your spouse or stepchildren to your IU plan.
  • If you are not currently covered under an IU plan, enroll yourself and your spouse/children in an IU plan.
  • Drop your coverage altogether, but only if you enroll in your spouse’s plan.
  • Drop your currently covered children from your plan, but only if you enroll them in your spouse’s plan.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)

You may take the following actions:

  • Add or drop coverage.
  • Increase or decrease the coverage level.

Tax Saver Benefit Plans

You may take the following actions:

Health Care:

  • Increase election if consistent with change.
  • Reduce election but only if it is consistent with change (e.g., if spouse adds employee to medical coverage with a lower deductible than employee currently has.).

Dependent Care:

  • Add or increase coverage if the marriage creates or increases need for dependent care.
  • Drop coverage if marriage decreases or removes need for dependent care. (i.e. spouse is not employed or has dependent care election on his or her employer's Plan)
(Consistency rule is satisfied if change corresponds with a Life Event Change that affects either eligibility for coverage under Plan or eligibility of expenses under applicable IRS regulations.)

Additional Considerations

You may also want to consider making changes to the information/plans listed below. Such changes do not require a Life Event Change and can be done at any time.


Make Benefit Changes