Death of a Dependent or Spouse

When a family member passes away, we understand that this is a difficult time for the employee and their family. Below is information we hope is useful in the event of a family member’s death.

Depending on whether the deceased family member was covered under your plans, or you were covered on your deceased spouse’s plans, you may make corresponding changes to your IU benefit plan elections. You must make these changes within 30 days of the death.

Important Information

  • A copy of the death certificate will be required.
  • Contact IU Human Resources at 812-856-1234 or for assistance in filing Life Insurance and/or Personal Accident Insurance claims.

Medical and Dental Coverage

You may take the following actions:

  • Enroll in a plan if you were covered under your deceased spouse’s employer plan.
  • Add a child to your plan if covered under the deceased spouse's employer plan.
  • Remove the deceased family member from your IU plan.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)

You may take the following actions:

  • Add or drop coverage.
  • Increase or decrease the coverage level.

Tax Saver Benefit Plans

Health Care:

  • Decrease election to account for expenses of deceased family member.

Dependent Care:

  • Decrease or increase election if consistent with change.
(Consistency rule is satisfied if change corresponds with a Life Event Change that affects either eligibility for coverage under Plan or eligibility of expenses under applicable IRS regulations.)

Additional Considerations

You may also want to consider making changes to the information/plans listed below. Such changes do not require a Life Event Change and can be done at any time.


Make Benefit Changes