To advance the 2020 Transitions Lab – IU’s name for its sustainability living learning lab—and support the IU Sustainability Working Groups as they work to make IU a leader in campus sustainability, the Provost has allocated $50,000 per year from fall 2016 to spring 2019, to support the new IU Sustainability Innovation Fund. After a successful first year in which funding was committed for an IU Heritage Trail and an IU Campus Farm, the Office of Sustainability is pleased to request new proposal ideas for academic year 2017-2018.
The Innovation Fund supports IU Bicentennial Strategic Plan Priority Three, “Catalyzing Research,” offering “support for innovative campus living laboratory initiatives that provide opportunities to integrate campus operations, faculty and student research, education, student life, and community engagement to applied, solutions-oriented sustainability research.”
The fund offers an exciting opportunity to build and leverage existing IUOS Working Group capacities to generate productive operations-academics solutions for sustainability, all while welcoming new campus collaborators to participate.
- Through a competitive process, the Innovation Fund will catalyze campus efforts that fulfill the following goals:
- Leverage Working Group structure to create and fund at least one major innovation per year that measurably advances campus sustainability by using campus as a lab.
- Improve IUB’s score in at least one category of the AASHE STARS metric.
- Provide high-impact learning experiences for students.
- Make measurable progress towards one or more Bicentennial Strategic Plan goals.
- Generate success stories to publish in university and public media to create opportunities for sustainability advancement and donor targets.
About the Award
The IUOS is commited to funding at least one project in academic year 2017-2018. Proposal budgets may be up to, but not exceed $50,000.
Application and Award Timeline
The important stages of the application and review process are listed below. The proposal process seeks to generate innovation and ingenuity through two-way communication between IUOS staff and proposal teams. Toward this end, the IUOS will host an orientation (with Q&A) early in the fall semester, and provide written and face-to-face feedback on pre-proposal submissions.
- Innovation Fund Orientation Workshop will be September 28, 4-5:00 p.m., at the E-House, 704 E. 10th Street. This is open to the University community. IUOS staff will review the purpose of the Innovation fund, present the application process for AY 2016-2017, and field questions.
- Letters of intent are due November 17, 5:00 p.m. The letter of intent should be less than 2 pages single-space and is required in order to move on to full proposal submittal. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- IUOS staff are available to meet with proposals teams during the following weeks: December 11-15; January 8-12 and 15-19. Consultation with IUOS staff is not required but strongly encouraged.
- Full proposal due: February 16, 5:00 p.m. Submissions that are late or incomplete will not be considered.
- Innovation Fund 2016-2017 projects will be announced at the Spring Sustainability Symposium—April 13, 2018.
How To Apply
- Download the Complete Request for Proposal
- Attend the Innovation Fund Overview Workshop (optional) - Friday, September 28th, 4:00-5:00 pm at the E-House, 704 E. 10th Street.
- Form your team with at least one faculty lead and one operational staff lead
- Submit your letter of intent by 5pm on November 17.
- Submit Full Proposal to email@example.com by February 16, 5:00 p.m.