Laura Gurzynski-Weiss | Faculty
Assistant Professor, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Office: Ballantine Hall 876
Ph.D. Georgetown University 2010
M.S. Georgetown University 2007
B.A. Marquette University 2005
- Interaction-and task-based classroom research
- Instructor and learner individual difference factors
- In-class feedback provision and perception
- Instructed second language acquisition and instructor cognition
- *Baralt, M., & Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (2011). Comparing learners’ state anxiety during task-based interaction in computer-mediated and face-to-face communication. Language Teaching Research, 15(2), 201-229.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L., & Révész, A. (2012). Tasks, teacher feedback, and learner modified output in naturally occurring classroom interaction. Language Learning 62(3), 851-879.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (in press). Graduate instructor in-class cognition and feedback provision over time. To appear in R. T. Miller, K. I. Martin, C. M. Eddington, A. Henery, N. M. Miguel, A. Tseng, A. Tuninetti & D. Walter (Eds.), Selected Proceedings of the 2012 Second Language Research Forum, 2013.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (in press). Instructor characteristics and classroom-based second language acquisition of Spanish. To appear in K. L. Geeslin (Ed.), The Handbook of Second Language Spanish. Wiley Blackwell, 2013.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L., & Baralt, M. (in press). Exploring learner perception and use of task-based interactional feedback in face-to-face and computer-mediated modes. To appear in Studies in Second Language Acquisition 36(1), 2014.
- *Plonsky, L., & Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (in press). Research Methods. To appear in C. Fäcke (Ed.) Language Acquisition. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2014.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L., Baralt, M., Leow, R., & Al-Khalil, M. (contracted; in review). The roles of type of feedback and type of linguistic item on L2 awareness in computer-mediated communication. To appear in R. Leow, M. Baralt, & L. Cerezo Ceballos (Eds.), Technology and Second/Foreign Language Learning: A Psycholinguistic Approach. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2014.
- Gurzynski-Weiss, L., & Baralt, M. (in review). A closer look at learner responses to feedback and their effect on noticing in face-to-face and computer-mediated task-based interaction.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L., Long, A. Y., & Solon, M. E. (in review). Comparing interaction and use of space in traditional and innovative classroom spaces.
- * Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (in review). Triangulating graduate instructor learning in a FL methods course: Questionnaires, concept maps, and reflective teaching journals.
- *Gurzynski-Weiss, L. (in review). Spanish instructors' operationalization of task complexity and sequencing in non-experimental foreign language lessons.
Honors and Awards
- International Conference Grant, Institute for European Studies, Indiana University; Fall 2013
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Research Grant from the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education; Awarded May 2011
- Finalist, Christopher Brumfit PhD/EdD Award 2011, Cambridge University Press/Language Teaching Journal
- Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship for Brazilian Portuguese, U.S. Department of Education and Georgetown University, 2009-2010
Current Research Projects
- Founder/Convenor, Interlocutor & Instructor Individual Differences in Cognition and SLA, International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA) Research Network (ReN) http://www.individualdifferencesinsla.com/
- The effects of task type and classroom environment on learners’ engagement with the language (collaboration with Melissa Baralt, Florida International University, and YouJin Kim, Georgia State University)
- Factors influencing Spanish and Portuguese FL instructors’ in-class feedback decisions
- Error correction in non-experimental Spanish FL classrooms: Examining feedback amount, type, and consistency in relation to instructor characteristics
- Instructor beliefs about corrective feedback and their individual characteristics
- Social functions of code-switching in a first-grade Spanish/English dual-immersion classroom (collaboration with Melissa Baralt, Florida International University)
HISP-S517: Foreign language teaching methodology
HISP-S430: Acquisition of Spanish as a second language
HISP-S716: Seminar in second language acquisition
Topic: Task-Based Language Teaching Learning
HISP-S326: Introduction to Hispanic linguistics