Effective: December 29, 2011
This privacy notice applies only to units of the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs (http://www.indiana.edu/~dema) and explains our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of visitor information. Visitor information collected by the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs will be used only as outlined in this privacy notice.
Other units at the university may collect and use visitor information in different ways; therefore, visitors to other university websites should review the privacy notices for the particular sites they visit. Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs is not responsible for the content of other websites or for the privacy practices of websites outside the scope of this notice.
Because Internet technologies continue to evolve rapidly, Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs may make appropriate changes to this notice in the future. Any such changes will be consistent with our commitment to respecting visitor privacy and will be clearly posted in a revised privacy notice.
Collection and Use
When you view pages on our site, the web server automatically collects certain technical information from your computer and about your connection.
This website is hosted on Webserve, a shared web hosting environment provided by IU's University Information Technology Services. For more information about privacy practices related to Webserve, read the Webserve Privacy Notice Supplement.
In addition to any information collected by Webserve, our server and/or site collects the following:
- Our website is hosted by IU Webserve
Continued use of our website indicates consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice.
This technical information is not retained or utilized.
Information Used for Contact
If you supply us with your postal/mailing address, you will only receive the information for which you provided us your address.
We do not share any aggregate, non-personally-identifiable information with other entities or organizations.
We do not share any personally-identifiable information with other entities or organizations, except when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website.
Except as described above, we will not share any information with any party for any reason.
Except as provided in the Disclosure of Information section below, we do not attempt to use the technical information discussed in this section to identify individual visitors.
Other than automatically collected technical information about your visit (described above, or cookies described below), we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, such as through forms or other manual input in order to make products and services available to you, to maintain and manage our relationship with you, including providing associated services or to better understand and serve your needs. This information is generally retained as long as you continue to maintain a relationship with us. Your providing this information is wholly voluntary; however, not providing the requested information (or subsequently asking that the data be removed) may affect our ability to deliver the products or service for which the information is needed. Providing the requested information indicates your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice. Information we may actively collect could include:
- the e-mail addresses of those who communicate with us via e-mail
- telephone number
- information volunteered by the visitor, such as preferences, survey information, and/or site registrations
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your hard drive that contains information about your visit to a web page. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may configure your browser not to accept them at all, or to notify and require approval before accepting new cookies. Some web pages/sites may not function properly if the cookies are turned off, or you may have to provide the same information each time you visit those pages.
- We ask children under age 13 to obtain permission from a parent or guardian before interacting with our site.
- We do not contact children under age 13 about special offers or for marketing purposes without a parent's or guardian's permission.
- We do not ask a child under age 13 for more personal information, as a condition of participation, than is reasonably necessary to participate in a given activity or promotion.
Use of Third Party Services
Our website does not utilize any types of services provided by third parties.
Updating Inaccurate Information
In some cases, we will grant visitors the ability to update or correct inaccuracies in the information that we maintain.
Visitors may correct inaccuracies in:
- contact information that we have on file
- communications that the visitor has directed to our site (e.g., e-mails, visitor inquiries)
Visitors can have this information corrected by:
- sending us e-mail at the listed address
- calling us at the listed telephone number
- writing to us at the listed address
Disclosure of Information
Other than sharing your information with other appropriate university personnel and units to ensure the quality, functionality, and security of our website, or manage your relationship with us, we will not disclose personally identifiable information about your use of the site except under the following circumstances:
- With your prior written (including e-mail) consent
- When we have given you clear notice that we will disclose information that you voluntarily provide
- With appropriate external parties, such as law enforcement agencies, in order to investigate and respond to suspected violations of law or university policy. Any such disclosures shall comply with all applicable laws and university policies.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of information technologies, no transmission of data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. While we are committed to protecting the privacy of our visitors, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to university websites, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, however, we will use reasonable safeguards consistent with prevailing industry standards and commensurate with the sensitivity of the data being stored to maintain the security of that information on our systems.
In addition, we will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding the privacy and security of visitor information.
We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site.
Privacy Notice Changes
From time to time, we may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
- We will post the policy changes to our website to notify you of these changes and provide you with the ability to opt out of these new uses. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our website periodically.
Visitors may prevent their information from being used for purposes other than those for which it was originally collected by:
- sending us an e-mail at the listed address
- calling us at the listed telephone number
- writing to us at the listed address
If you feel that this site is not following its stated policy and communicating with the owner of this site does not resolve the matter, or if you have general questions or concerns about privacy or information technology policy at Indiana University, please contact the University Information Policy Office, 812-855-UIPO, firstname.lastname@example.org.