GISB 3025, (812) 856-0230
- Ph.D., Cornell University, 2002
Region of Interest
- Politics in contemporary Xinjiang
- History of modern Xinjiang
- Historiography in China
- Nationalism and ethnic conflict
- The Uyghurs: Strangers in Their Own Land. Columbia University Press (2010).
- “Politics in Modern Xinjiang,” in Introduction to the Politics of China, ed. William Joseph. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010), 336-354.
- “CCP Policies and Popular Responses in Xinjiang, 1949 to the present,” in Governing China’s Multiethnic Frontiers, ed. Morris Rossabi (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2004), 117-54.
- "Contested Histories" (with Nabijan Tursun). In Xinjiang: China's Muslim Frontier, edited by S. Frederick Starr (Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2004), 353-74.
- "Autonomy in Xinjiang: Han Nationalist Imperatives and Uyghur Discontent," Policy Studies 11 (Washington: East-West Center, 2004). (64 pages)
- "Contested Histories," (with Nabijan Tursun) in Xinjiang: China's Muslim Frontier, edited by S. Frederick Starr, (Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 2004) 353-74.
- "The Not-So-Silent Majority: Uyghur Resistance to Han Rule in Xinjiang," Modern China 28, no. 1 (2002): pp. 39-78.
- "The History of the History of Xinjiang," Twentieth Century China 26, no 1 (2001) pp. 95-139.