Our graduate certificate is now free standing!
Area certificates can be awarded by themselves or in conjunction with completion of or progress toward a Master's level or higher degree at an accredited institution. To enroll, students must be accepted by IU's Graduate School as a non-degree seeking student. The Certificate requires 15 credit hours (or five courses) of graduate coursework.
Master's degree requirements are outlined in the Graduate School bulletin.
- one approved graduate course from History (3-4 credits)
- one approved graduate course from Political Science or European Law (3 cr)
- one approved graduate course on the European Union, Europe in the World or taking a comparative perspective on Europe and other world regions (3cr)
- one approved graduate course on Literature/Culture (3cr)
- elective course in European Studies (2-4 cr)
- reading competence in at least one approved European language
No more than three credit hours may be in readings (W805) or independent research (W875). A maximum of 4 credits or one course may be taken within the student's major field of study.
Students seeking information about the certificate and its requirements or enrollment should contact the European Studies office.