For Undergraduate Students
We currently do not have any support opportunities for IU undergraduate students. Please check back for future opportunities from the East Asian Studies Center.
Please note: Title VI Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship are not currently available from the East Asian Studies Center. This section is posted for reference purposes only
Title VI Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Application deadline: N/A
These fellowships include:
- Tuition fee remission (up to $5,000)
- Summer stipend of $2,500
Summer FLAS fellowships support training of undergraduate students who plan to pursue careers in college or university teaching, government service, or other fields in which knowledge of foreign languages and cultures is required.
Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to using the language as part of long-term academic or professional career goals.
Acceptance of a FLAS award will be counted against your eligibility for other types of financial aid already processed by the IU Office of Student Financial Assistance and may result in a reduction of other aid previously disbursed for the same award period.
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Eligible modern East Asian languages: Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (2nd-year level or higher)
- Program of study must be at least six weeks long and provide at least 120 contact hours at the 4th-year level and at least 140 contact hours at lower levels.
- Please note: Additional requirements apply to the use of a FLAS at an overseas institution. If applying to use a FLAS overseas, easc [at] indiana [dot] edu (contact us).
email@example.com (E-mail us) for more information about FLAS fellowships through the East Asian Studies Center, or contact us at: 355 North Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105, (812) 855-3765.