Monthly News: November 2013
Who Are Asian Pacific Americans? Luncheon Talk Series
Topic: What's in a (Group) Name? Exploring Identity Through 'Labels'
Date: Friday, November 8, 2013
Time: 12-1 pm
Venue: ACC, 807 E. 10th Street
Description: The month of November and Thanksgiving encourage people to give thanks and reflect on what they appreciate in life. As social creatures, humans have an innate want to belong to some kind of group, be it a family, culture, religion, or friend circle. While the act of belonging is comforting, the labeling of those groups can be complicated and contentious. Do these group names encourage certain behaviors? Do the group names ultimately help a group? Or do they eventually hurt a group? Come for the chance to discuss these questions, which are based on the following article in the LA Times: Click to View
What's cooking this Friday?ťDate: Friday, November 15, 2013
Time: 5-6 p.m.
Venue: IU Asian Culture Center, 807 E. 10th Street
Description: Find out what's cooking on Friday! ACC's special guest will unveil her/his culinary knowledge and tell you about the varieties and nuances of the featured Asian dish, as well as its preparation. At the end of the program, we will have food tasting. Due to limited seating, advance free registration is required. Email email@example.com or call (812) 856-5361 to register.
The ACC hosts many events on a regular basis. Check out the calender below for our scheduled events. You can also pick up a program flyer at the center or at any of our events. All events are free unless otherwise indicated. See our note about parking for programs at the ACC on our facilities page.
Here is a list of our regular programs, click for details:
- Asian Cultures Around Campus
- Asian Language Learning Program (Classes will start from September 9, 2013. Schedule is posted! Click ALLP link.) Sign up here
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
- Asian Presidents' Dinner Meeting
- Asian Student Leadership Retreat
- Henna Lessons 101
- Monday Table Topics: Round-Table Discussion
- Over A Cup Of Tea
- Recipe Exchange and Cooking Demonstration
- 'Retracing Our Roots' Retreat
- Weekly Asian Games Featuring Mah-Jong and Go
- Who are Asian Pacific Americans?