A celebration of the life of John Ryan was held on Friday, October 28, 2011, at the Indiana Memorial Union. View a photo gallery of this event.
John Ryan, Former Indiana University President
John W. Ryan, the 14th president of Indiana University, who guided its development into an eight-campus institution, and the chancellor emeritus of the State University of New York (SUNY), died Saturday, August 6th, 2011 at the age of 81.
Ryan was IU's president from 1971 to 1987. Under his stewardship, the university experienced academic success and major growth in enrollment and financial support. During that time, 37 faculty members were named Guggenheim Fellows and three were named MacArthur Fellows.
He restructured the institution and transformed IU into a multi-campus university that serves every region of the state. IU Southeast in New Albany and IU East in Richmond opened during his tenure. Numerous programs and schools were created, including the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, the School of Journalism, the School of Continuing Studies and the School of Optometry.
His 16 years as IU president exceeded the length of all but three of his predecessors, Herman B Wells, William Lowe Bryan and Andrew Wylie. Ryan held the titles of IU president emeritus and professor emeritus in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at the time of his death. He also was a member of the Board of Directors at the IU Foundation.
Term of Office: 1971-1987
Education: University of Utah (B.A. 1951), Indiana University (M.A. 1958, Ph.D. 1959)
Professional Background: Professor of political science at the University of Wisconsin (1958-1962), assistant to the president and secretary of the University of Massachusetts (1961-1963), vice president for academic affairs at Arizona State University (1963-1965), chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Boston (1965-1968), vice president for regional campuses at Indiana University (1968-1971)
Past News Releases
- President Emeritus John Ryan receives University Medal, IU's highest nonacademic award
- SUNY honors Chancellor Emeritus and former IU President John W. Ryan
- Fellows Program at IU to honor President Emeritus John W. Ryan
- Final Remarks, July 31, 1987
- John W. Ryan of Herman B Wells, October 7, 1986
- International Studies Assn., October 19, 1979
- I.U. East Dedication, February 23, 1975
- Indiana University Southeast Dedication, October 26, 1973
- State of the University Address, October 05, 1971
- Official Ceremony on Becoming President, January 27, 1971